The Transformation Journey Ahead of Us
UVAFinance is currently undertaking a multi-step journey to transform the way we do Finance to better serve the University Community and to enable our team members to do their jobs more accurately and more easily.
The Readiness Phase focuses on re-designing our Chart of Accounts, defining UVAFinance's reporting strategy and the FST project's change management strategy, business process prototyping, and HCM remediation and IT landscape assessments.
The implementation of a new software solution (Workday Financials) places the Go-Live date at the beginning of FY2022 (July 1, 2022).
Project Overview | What should I expect when?
Plan: Preparing for Phase 3
- Expect: Behind-the-scenes work; hiring, planning to implementing
- Involvement: The Team is putting the foundation in place
Architect: Building the Model
- Expect: The team starts establishing implementation; requirement gathering sessions begin, known as Architect Workshops
- Involvement: The Team displays Workday functionality during Architect sessions and gathers requirements. Architect sessions include 20-30 members in each session and focus groups will help the team to refine personas
Configure & Prototype: Walking Through the Tenant
Expect: The requirements gathered are now validated and UVA's initial tenant is built. The team creates training plans based on the Architect sessions
Involvement: Participate in interactive walkthrough of processes; the team gathers feedback on issues, opportunities from staff for enhancing the system
Test: How does Workday function at UVA?
Expect: The team starts end-to-end testing in Workday Tenant. Initial training materials may also be distributed during this time
Involvement: You may be asked to help test UVA's Workday Financials or to evaluate how ready you/your unit are to go live with Workday Financials
Deploy: Workday Goes Live!
Expect: Training, as we prepare to transition to Workday Finance
Involvement: Once Workday goes "live", we will ask for everyone's involvement in training as UVA staff and faculty acclimate to new workflows and processes. Advisory group members will assist in what is working and what needs tweaking
Support & Stabilization: The New Normal
Expect: With the system live, we are making small process changes necessary for Workday to be effective for all
Involvement: Keep us apprised of all challenges you encounter, as well as continuous improvement opportunities
Project Phase Layout
Current State Review - Future State Design
What happened in Phase One? A lot of important foundational work!
Phase 1 has been all about looking at the way we currently do finance at UVA. We have worked to understand the current systems that we use, and compared that to leading practices and systems elsewhere in higher education and noted where we have opportunities to be better at what we do.
In our Business Process Maturity Model Workshops with stakeholders, we've studied how we want to do things in the future and how well a new system would support that new way of doing things. Where we have recognized gaps between the system and the new processes, we have worked to develop a picture of how those gaps get addressed, whether that’s a different system, a supporting system, or additional process changes.
The main deliverable for Phase 1 was the picture of how we can improve finance at UVA, as well as a business case for making those changes. Another part of this included developing a roadmap that lays out what changes are involved, how long we think that will take, and who would be impacted by those changes.
Functional Gap Analysis
- What are UVA’s high-level functional requirements for each end-to-end finance business process?
- How well does Workday Financials meet UVA’s high-level functional requirements?
- What remediation is available for the requirements dispositioned as “No Fit”?
- A total of 175 high-level functional requirements* were derived from Business Process Maturity Model workshops, Chart of Accounts workshops and Checkpoint Team submissions.
- Workday Financials meets 99% of the identified requirements (173 of 175).
- There are alternative approaches for each of the two requirements dispositioned as “No Fit”.
Workday Financials is an overall fit with 99% of UVA high-level differentiating requirements*, meeting 77% (or 135 of the total 175 requirements) with a pure Fit and 22% (38 in number) with a Fit with a Workaround within Workday.
The 1% No Fit with Alternative, that is only two requirements, would require an alternative solution, such as a UBI report.
* Differentiating requirements that are unique to UVA compared to other higher education institutions served as the basis for the Functional Gap Analysis. Standard requirements that are inherent in modern ERP software solutions were not captured during this process.
- Workday delivers functionality to meet the requirement
Fit with Workaround withWorkday
- Ability to meet the requirement within Workday by a custom report, integration, custom object or additional navigation
No Fit with Alternative
- Workday does not deliver functionality to meet the requirement, but there is an alternative (Workday Custom Report, Integration or Workday Custom Object). Includes requirements that are not core financial system capabilities and/or on the Workday product roadmap for a future release date.
- Workday does not deliver functionality to meet the requirement.
Transformation Roadmap and Business Case are the two major deliverables for Phase 1.
- Definition: A strategic plan to achieve the vision for finance transformation that includes goals, strategies, and milestones
- Scope Assumptions
- Other (i.e. Process Transformation)
- Deployment Scenario
- Readiness initiatives and opportunities collected during BPMM Workshops
- Definition: Presentation of the investment required and benefits associated with transforming finance
- Work Products that Serve as Inputs:
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
Activities conducted during Readiness were designed to prepare for a successful transformation. Readiness initiatives included:
- Reporting Strategy, including a survey of key shadow systems
- Foundation Data Model Blueprint (Chart of Accounts)
- HCM Remediation Assessment
- Workday Straw Model Discovery on Signature Processes
- Grants Management
- Miscellaneous Accounts Receivable (Internal Service Providers)
- Gifts and Endowments
- Oracle Labor Distribution Process
During Readiness, we mobilized resources and continued periodic meetings of the Steering Committee and Advisory Group, as well as scheduling interviews, workshops, and other activities to gather the necessary input for various work streams.
We are currently in the Implementation phase, followed by a six-month support/stabilization period. After the deep-dive Architect phase where we built the "blueprints" of UVA's Workday Financials system, we head into Configure & Prototype, a crucial phase of the project. During "Config & Prototype," the team will build the first version of UVA's tenant of Workday Financials, and our stakeholders will then get a chance to take a look and validate the data. The project team will revise the tenant build based on stakeholder feedback. We expect to complete at least two rounds of building and validation, and if time allows, possibly even three rounds!
Check out James' article about "building our house" on the Community (behind NetBadge). It paints a picture of the whole process of building our Workday Financials tenant in an easily understandable way!
While we anticipate implementing a technical solution in 2022, that doesn't mean that Finance Transformation ends. The work of Continuous Improvement will continue for the foreseeable future as we strive to refine and improve our processes and service delivery.