A Major Accident/Incident is one in which total damages may exceed $5,000 or any incident wherein bodily injury occurs.

If a Major Accident/Incident occurs, please take the additional following steps:

Campers Accidental Coverage provides coverage to participants of a University organized camp. Under this coverage, all registered campers are automatically covered while they participate in a university sponsored and supervised educational day and overnight camp activities. University departments hosting a camp session can contact the Office of Property & Liability Risk Management to coordinate coverage for the camp’s activities.

Throughout the year there are many people who will serve as volunteers to help assist the University in its academic, research, healthcare and public service missions.

Every volunteer must be approved and authorized by a Sponsoring Manager (Faculty, Staff or Administration member). The Sponsoring Manager is responsible for all documentation, supervision and training of the Volunteer.

The University Accident Review Committee evaluates each accident in which a University-owned vehicle is involved and some accidents in which a rented or motorized-utility vehicle is involved. After thoroughly reviewing all of the material concerning each accident, the review committee determines whether the accident was Preventable, Not-Preventable, or an Incident, based upon the definitions of the criteria provided by the Department of State Police.

In most cases, fine arts or other items loaned to and taken into the care, custody and control of the University departments can be provided with coverage through the University's Property Insurance PlanPersonal items belonging to others that are at the University, but where there is no written documentation of being on loan and in the care, custody, or control of the University, are not covered under the University's Property coverage.

Contracts, agreements, and procurement provisions are reviewed by the Property & Liability Risk Management staff in an effort to protect the University from potential financial losses in its interactions with outside organizations. To do this, the following issues are reviewed:

Auto Incident/Accident Claim

How to Report an Auto Incident/Accident Claim

(State Owned, Rented or Leased Vehicles)

Automobile accidents should be reported directly and immediately to:

University vehicles are for transportation in the most effective, efficient and safest way possible for University employees in the performance of their duties.

A University vehicle is defined as a licensed motorized device for land transportation owned, leased or rented by the University, State or any State agency.

The University has policies and procedures regarding drivers and University vehicles. It is the responsibility of each department to assure compliance with these. Please refer to the sections below for specific information.