International Travel

***Faculty, Staff, and Student University-Related Travel to Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza is restricted until further notice.***


International Travel Registry

Faculty and staff are required to register their professional international travel through the University's International Travel Registry per University policy (FIN-055). The registry is maintained by the International Studies Office in order to facilitate University assistance if the need arises. 

Once registered, travelers will be auto-enrolled in the University's International Health & Emergency Assistance Insurance Program provided by CISI. 

Please visit the International Travel Registry for more information and to register. 

This registration must be completed or travel will not be reimbursed/paid for by the University. 


Export Controls

The University supports international travel to strengthen partnerships in education and research. However, there are federal regulations that must be adhered to and steps that can be taken to support a safe trip. International travel and related exports of University equipment, software, or proprietary information are subject to University policy (FIN-043) and US laws on export control in addition to University travel policies and procurement rules. 

If traveling with University equipment, software, or proprietary information, consult with the Office of Export Controls for requirements and current travel restrictions that could endanger those assets. A license from the US government may be required for travel or exports to certain countries. The University’s Office of Export Controls will assist travelers in obtaining any licenses necessary to support university travel.

Sanctioned Countries

Employees Traveling to and/or participating in any activities with sanctioned countries MUST have prior approval from the Office of Export Controls at Failure to obtain prior authorization may result in serious personal liability and disallowance of charges by the University. See the Office of Export Controls for more information.

  • Activities include:
    • Before making travel arrangements
    • Before traveling with University-owned equipment, software, samples, or data
    • Before shipping University-owned equipment, software, samples, or data to or from sanctioned countries
    • Before receiving equipment, software, samples, data, or financial support from anyone in a sanctioned country, prior to, during, and after travel
  • As of May 2023*, sanctioned countries include:
    • Cuba
    • Iran
    • North Korea
    • Syria
    • Ukraine Regions:
      • Donetsk
      • Crimea
      • Luhansk

*For the most updated list of sanctioned countries, visit the Office of Export Controls.

Non-Sanctioned Countries

  • Prior approval MUST be obtained for the following activities with non-sanctioned countries:
    • Before traveling with University-owned equipment, software, samples, or data 
    • Before shipping University-owned equipment, software, samples, or data to support University activities


Traveler Health & Safety Information

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends visiting your healthcare provider or a traveler's clinic at least one month prior to your international trip. Check the CDC’s destination pages for health information including what vaccines and medications may be recommended/required for your destination(s). The UVA Infectious Diseases and Traveler's Clinic is available for travel immunization appointments on Mondays. Travel immunizations and related prescriptions can be paid via T&E card or reimbursed.

No matter who you are you deserve to feel safe while traveling. Please view the State Department's resources for Travelers with Special Considerations. You can also contact UVA's Division for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for additional support. 

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

See additional information on the Prepare for Your Trip page.



Launch TravelUVA        Travel Contracts

International Travel Registry

Designated Advisors

Travel Help

Please contact us with any questions related to travel planning and bookings.

(434) 924-3400
Related News
Credit Card

When booking companion travel, it is essential to confirm that the Companion has a valid business purpose, as defined by the IRS and associated UVA guidelines.


Raegan Harouff Gaye

Raegan Harouff Gaye

Assistant Director of Travel & Expense
Chailey Hench

Chailey Hench

Travel & Expense Program Analyst
Danae Polemi

Danae Polemi

Travel & Expense Program Analyst