Time and Place of Accident:

Enter the Date, time, and specific address of accident.

The Commonwealth Accounting Policies and Procedures (CAPP) Manual documents the policies and procedures associated with the Commonwealth's centralized accounting and financial systems. Topic No.

What do I do if I have a vehicle accident in a State owned or rented vehicle while on University business?

While at the scene of the accident:

  • If the student's permanent home address is other than their local address, both their local and permanent home addresses should be listed. The same applies to phone numbers.
  • Length of Service – the amount of time and dates the volunteer is authorized to act on behalf of the University in a volunteer capacity. If this time frame changes for any reason, this form should be updated accordingly.
  • A complete and accurate description of the volunteer's activities is important.

Perform a safety inspection before each trip: Make sure that the pin securing the ball mount to the receiver is intact, the hitch coupler is secured, spring bar hinges are tight with the safety clips in place (load equalizer or weight distributing hitches), safety chains are properly attached, and the electrical plug is properly installed. Check for rust on the hitch components.  Once a year, remove and check the ball mount which can rust within the receiver.  If any component shows evidence of perforation, take it to repair facility before using. 

Know your weight limits

University faculty and staff are subject to a variety of conflict of interest laws, regulations, and requirements depending on their official duties for the University and external financial relationships.  This website provides general information, references, and resources to assist you in meeting your personal obligations to comply with conflict of interest requirements as they related to procurement activities; it is not intended as legal advice and should not be construed as such.  Any questions regarding interpretation and application of laws and regulations should be directed to the

For drivers who transport passengers in owned or Rented/Leased vehicles on behalf of the University of Virginia.

Property & Risk Management provides information on event planning in this presentation.