Book Rental Car

How to book, pay for, and change/cancel a rental car

Log onto TravelUVA


  • Rental cars can be booked through TravelUVA's online booking tool or directly with a CBT agent.
    • CBT Agent Team:
    • *Note: An agent fee is assessed when booking directly through a CBT agent. There is no fee for booking through TravelUVA's online booking tool (Concur). 
  • If you are booking a rental car with a direct bill account, please book directly through the rental car website or with a CBT agent using your direct bill number.
  • If you are booking a rental car for personal use, please book directly with the supplier using the Leisure contract code, which can be found on the Travel Contracts page. 
    • *Please note: Different terms/conditions apply for personal rentals. Insurance is not included on personal rentals, and taxes are applicable. 
  • From the AirPortal dashboard, select "Book Travel" on the left, and then "Book/Manage Online Trips" to access the Concur online booking tool.
Enter Dates & Location
  • Select the icon for "Car Search".
  • Enter Pick-up date and Drop-off date.
  • Enter pick-up location based on Airport or Off-Airport location.
  • Check box if you will be returning the car to another location.
  • Select "Search".
Shop & Select
  • University employees are strongly encouraged to rent vehicles through agencies under contract with the University. UVA contracted agencies will be listed as "Most Preferred". 
    • IMPORTANT: 15 passenger van rentals are not allowed under Policy SEC-001:15-Passenger Vans

    Verify & Confirm
    • Vehicle reservations are NOT pre-paid, payment must be made by credit card in the name of the driver at the time of pick up.
      • The only exception to this is if you book directly through Enterprise, National, or Hertz with your direct bill number.
    • The Travel and Expense Card is the preferred method of payment for vehicle rentals for employee travel.
    • For rental vehicles, the University reimburses actual expenses.
    • Itemized receipts are required regardless of amount for the rental cost.
    During Travel
    • Insurance
      • University contracted vendors Enterprise, Hertz, and National all include the collision damage waiver fee in their rates per the University contract.
      • The traveler should only purchase additional collision damage insurance if renting or leasing a vehicle from a non-contracted vendor. *Please note this is a change in policy. 
      • When overseas, DO purchase the extra insurance (Collision Damage Waiver) on an auto rental.
      • If a rental vehicle is damaged and the rental agreement does not include the collision damage waiver, the department will be responsible for the $1000 insurance deductible for any claim.
      • Non-University employees (with the exception of volunteers traveling on UVA business) are not covered under the University’s self-insurance plan. For these individuals, the University will only reimburse LDW and CDW insurance. 
      • Vehicles rented under the Leisure/Personal code do not include insurance. 
    • Refueling
      • The traveler must return vehicles with the same amount of fuel as when picked up. It is most cost-effective to refuel before returning. Justification is required when expensing if refueling occurs at the rental agency.
    • Parking
      • Parking fees incurred while traveling on official University business are an allowable expense.
      • Parking fines are not an allowable expense for University faculty, staff, or students.
    • Tolls
      • EZ Pass or other Toll Pass programs are an allowable expense.
    • Roadside Assistance
      • While the purchase of roadside assistance plans is not recommended, any fees associated with services not covered by the rental company, e.g. flat tire, lockout service, vehicle jumpstart, fuel delivery, lost and damaged key replacement, etc., are allowable expenses on a traveler’s expense report.
    • Tax-Exempt Status
      • The University qualifies for tax-exempt status for vehicle rentals in the state of Virginia and other select states if the rental is paid with a T&E card. It is the traveler’s responsibility to understand the tax-exempt policy of the state which they are visiting and to make sure that tax is appropriately charged. See the University’s Comptroller’s Website for more information on tax exemptions.
    Did you know