The following general types of purchases are excluded from eVA. This means:
- These purchases will not be sent to eVA and no eVA fees will be charged to UVA or the vendor.
- These purchases will not be included in the base against which UVA’s restructuring metrics are measured.
Types of EVA-Excluded
EVA-Excluded because the category of goods and services is exempt from eVA
(See the Goods and Services Procurement Guide to determine which specific goods and services qualify for these exemptions, and how transactions must be coded to correctly identify them.
Note: These exemptions apply to POs, T&E card transactions, and Payment Vouchers when correctly coded.
- Accreditation fees and academic testing services
- Advertisements such as in newspapers, magazines, journals, radio, television, etc.
- Conference registrations
- Entertainment (speakers, lecturers, musicians, performing artists)
- Exhibition rental fees for exhibitions of historical artifacts or original works of art. (The rental fee may include charges other than the rental of the exhibition, such as transportation costs.)
- Financing, when goods/services procured from one source are being financed by another (i.e., third party) source.
- Medical (Health Care) Services when the service is purchased from a hospital or an individual.
- Individuals must be licensed and authorized by law to engage in the prevention, diagnosis, or treatment of human illness, injury, or physical disability, mental health, mental retardation, substance abuse, or emotional condition.
- Purchases from temporary service providers or independent laboratory testing companies are NOT exempt.
- Medical supplies are NOT exempt.
- Medical preceptor services.
- Vendor must be hospital, medical clinic, or medical practice.
- For provision of on-site practical experience and/or mentoring for medical students.
- Professional organizational membership dues and training classes sponsored by the professional organization, when payment is made directly to the professional organization sponsoring the training class.
- Payments to individuals providing training are NOT exempt.
- Public Utilities (electric, natural gas, water, sewer).
- Phone service, delivered fuel, and refuse collection are NOT exempt.
- A general rule of thumb is that if it can be delivered or picked up, it is NOT exempt. If it is transported via a pipe or wire, it probably is exempt.
- Real estate leases.
- Resale. Purchases made via automated inventory control systems for items for resale. Very few departments will purchase items eligible for this exemption.
- Travel and lodging for individual travelers.
EVA-Excluded by Vendor, based on Vendor Type, specific contracts, standing orders, etc.
- Purchases from any vendor in Integrated System with an “eVA Excluded” eVA status, as long as the purchase can be identified as such in the system.
- Note: There is not a consistent method for identifying eVA-Excluded vendors on Purchasing Card transactions.
- All correctly coded local, state, and federal government agencies will have “eVA Excluded” eVA status.
- EVA-Excluded vendor status applies to all ordering sites for the vendor.
EVA-Excluded based on circumstances of the purchase
- Over the counter (OTC) University Purchasing Card purchases that are made at the site of the sale, when it is possible to programmatically identify these OTC transactions from the information supplied by BOA Visa in their monthly transaction file.
- This will depend on BOA Visa’s accuracy in transmitting the card swipe at the retailer to the transaction file sent to UVA.
- Petty cash purchases
- Purchases from public auctions (non-electronic)
- Surplus property
EVA-Excluded payments that do not actually represent the purchase of goods or services by the University; public procurement regulations do not apply to the transaction
- Donations and contributions to other public bodies or tax exempt non-profit charitable organizations. (But you MUST use the expenditure type "Contributions" if the purchase is made through the Oracle system. There is no way for the system to know this exclusion otherwise.)
- Payments to:
- Internal Service Providers
- Research Study Participants
- Payments for:
- Child support
- Debt service
- Interlibrary loan fees
- Medicare and Medicaid
- OSP subcontracts
- Royalties and copyrights
- Purchases on YY funds (must not be mixed on same PO with non-YY funds)