Guidelines for using the T&E Card

Allowable Purchases with the Travel and Expense Card

The T&E card should be used only for purchases that will be eVA-Excluded and not currently provided by a strategic contract vendor. Card purchases will be excluded from eVA if:

  1. The purchase can be identified as an eVA-Excluded category, based on the correct spend category on the transaction. Please see the Goods and Services Procurement Guide to determine if a purchase is in an eVA-Excluded category, and what spend category should be used to identify it as such.
  2. The purchase is made over-the-counter by swiping the card at the place of business or using it with a local merchant.
  3. For all travel expenses.


The card may be used for purchases that are not eVA-Excluded under either of the following three conditions:

  1. The purchase is from a vendor you only plan to use one time and the vendor is not in the University's vendor file.
  2. The purchase is necessary to the mission of the department and there is no other reasonable way in which the purchase can be made, such as purchases that can only be made on the internet.
  3. After comparison shopping with UVA Marketplace vendors, taking into account all costs (eVA fees, shipping costs, etc.), the Card is the least expensive way to purchase.
  4. Please note that these non-eVA-Excluded transactions will still be considered "Non-compliant" with regard to eVA, and the department will incur the full 2% eVA fee.

Restricted Purchases

The University Travel and Expense Card may NOT be used for:

  • Personal Use
  • Companion Travel Expenses
  • Purchases from, or payments to, any of the following:
    • Employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia
    • Home rental services such as Airbnb, VRBO, or HomeAway
    • eBay
    • GoFundMe
    • Person-to-person payment services such as Venmo, PayPal, and Cash App
      • PayPal is only allowed as a payment method to registered business accounts, but not to individuals
    • Western Union, MoneyGram, or other money transfer services
  • Purchases on Hospital Accounts
  • Moving & Relocation Expenses
  • Purchases of ETF Equipment
  • Purchases of Capital Equipment (cost of $5,000 or more)
  • Purchases that require a Contract.  Someone from PSDS must sign all contracts.
  • For any of the following items:
  • ammunition
  • boats
  • carpet
  • firearms
  • prescription drugs
  • radioactive materials
  • renovation/construction services
  • security systems
  • tent rentals or purchases (non-camping)
  • vehicles
  • window treatments
Vendors that Require T&E Card Payment

You must use your Travel and Expense Card with these Vendors. No other method of payment is allowed.  Please see the Contracts page to review the details of these vendors.

  • A & A Limousine Service
  • Comcast
  • Plantscapes Florist
  • A Goff Limo
  • EDM Americas
  • Quicks Bus Company
  • Abbott Trailways
  • Enterprise Leasing Co.
  • Roberts Oxygen
  • Alsco Inc (American Linen)
  • Federal Express
  • Staunton Steam
  • Ambassador Limo
  • Hertz Corporation
  • Store It Right
  • Campbell Company Botanical Services Inc
  • James Limousine Service Inc.
  • U Stor It Charlottesville
  • Century Link
  • James River Bus Lines
  • Woolen Mills Self Storage
  • Charlottesville Self Storage at Charlottesville
  • Local Contract Hotels
  • United Parcel Service (UPS)
  • Charlottesville Self Storage at Crozet
  • National Car Rental
  • US Post Office
  • Colonnade Club
  • North Charlottesville Self Storage/CW Investments
  • Virginia Linen
  • Charlottesville Self Storage at Crozet
  • Patterson Pope
  • Yellow Cab
  • Pepsi
  • Zipcar Inc.
Expenses where T&E card is preferred

The Following Purchases Should be Made on the Card When Possible:

  • Any transaction with a vendor you plan to use one time and they are not already in the vendor file

  • Academic Accreditation Fees

  • Advertisements 

  • All local, state, and federal government agencies

  • Conference Registration and Training  

  • Entertainers

  • eVA-Excluded Transactions

  • Gift Cards for paying Research Participants (Human Subjects)

  • Goods and Services that can only be purchased from local  merchants or Over-the-Counter

  • Professional Organization Dues, Fee, and Licenses

  • Public Utilities (electric, natural gas, water, sewer)

  • Storage Services

  • Subscriptions

  • Travel Expenses

  • Utilities (cable, satellite, internet, land phone, cell phone, mobile data)

Travel & Meal Expenses

The Travel and Expense Card can be used to pay for allowable travel expenses and meals.To see what travel and meals expenses are allowed see Travel, Meals, and Entertainment Expenses Incurred on Behalf of the University—Policy ID: FIN-004.

  • Examples of allowable travel expenses for Employees or Non-Employees with a bonafide business purpose:
    • Lodging
    • Actual meals instead of per diems
    • Car Rental (for employees only)
    • Gasoline for car rentals and University-owned vehicles
    • Tolls
    • Parking
    • Internet
    • Mass Transit Tickets (air, rail, bus)
    • Shuttle and Taxi
    • Conference Registration Fees
  •   Meal expenses: 
    • Catering in the Charlottesville area- for local/ on-grounds catering, use America To Go or one of the University’s Internal Service Providers.
    • Catering outside of the Charlottesville area- the preferred payment method is the University’s Travel and Expense Card
      • Catering cannot be reimbursed (see FIN-004).
    • Business Meals eaten in a restaurant – the preferred payment method is the University’s Travel and Expense Card. Include business purpose and name and affiliation of participants.
    • $75 daily limit for business meals.
    • Alcohol purchases must be charged to local funds.
    • Please see Food Purchases at UVA for when to pay sales tax.
Personal Transactions

Transactions that are personal in nature should not be paid with the Card. Such items may include:

  • Any expenses related to the personal negligence of the traveler, such as a non-canceled hotel reservation.
  • Fines (including parking fines, speeding tickets, etc.)
  • Loss or damage expenses for personal property, such as lost or stolen articles, damage to personal vehicles, clothing, or other items
  • Fees for social or non-mandatory activities at conferences (tours, sports activities, etc.)
  • Videos, movies, or mini-bar charged to the hotel bill 
  • Vehicle expenses (other than a rental, fuel for rental, parking, and tolls), such as charges to gain entry to a locked vehicle and towing charges
  • Travel expenses (including child care) related to family members or companions, unless approved, prior to the expenses being incurred, through a Spend Authorization in Workday
  • Expenses for accidents or injuries
  • Laundry expenses
  • Expenses related to care of the traveler’s family or home (e.g., pet-sitting or house-sitting expenses)
Cash Withdrawal

Cash Withdrawals can be made on the Travel and Expense Card for cash-related travel expenses such as traveling to countries with a cash-based economy. Employees may obtain a cash withdrawal when it is the only means of paying for travel expenses. A T&E card and direct payment to service providers should be used before requesting a cash withdrawal. Cash withdrawals are allowed on the travel card only while you are in travel status, or within seven days of an official University business trip. If you do not have a T&E card, we can assist you with obtaining a card within three to five business days

  • Cash Withdrawals are granted for business travel only and must be approved by the cardholder's Authorizer.
  • There are no international or ATM fees from Bank of America; however, it is recommended that travelers locate a Bank of America ATM or international partner ATM to avoid fees from other banking institutions.  For more information, visit; or refer to our ATM and Credit Card FAQNote: Participation in this program is subject to change, please review participating Financial Institutions prior to travelling internationally and using International Partner ATMs.
  • Please keep all receipts when spending money from a cash withdrawal. You will be required to itemize all expenses when you return in Workday Expenses. 
  • Expensing a Cash Withdrawal
    • When expensing, use the T&E Cash Withdrawal expense item and itemize all expenses to the relevant expense items with receipts attached.
    • Any unused portion of a cash withdrawal should be retained by the cardholder, itemized in the expense report under the Residual Balance expense item, and marked as "personal" in Workday Expenses so that it will be deducted from your next paycheck.
  • Cash withdrawals must be repaid to the University within 30 days from the last date of travel. Failure to repay within 30 days will result in collection which could include payroll deduction. If you have a cash withdrawal that you cannot repay within 30 days from the last date of travel, please contact immediately. Payroll deduction could occur as soon as 35 days after the last date of travel. A cash withdrawal cannot be paid from sponsored program funds.

To Request a Cash Withdrawal on the Travel and Expense Card please complete the Card Change Request form: Request Cash Withdrawal.​​​​​

Required Receipts & Best Practices


All receipts are required for non-travel expenses, air and rail tickets, lodging, and car rentals regardless of the amount. Receipts are not required for other travel and entertainment expenses less than $75.


Follow the University funds receipt requirements unless your grant specifies otherwise

Itemized receipts are required for all transactions made on behalf of students and non-employees.

Cardholder’s Responsibilities

  • You may not use the card for personal purchases.
  • You may not have more than one card active.
  • Never allow another person to use your card.
  • Do not share your card's PIN number with others.
  • Use the card only to make informed buys of approved supplies and services per University policy.
  • You may not authorize any purchase in excess of your established monthly or individual transaction limits.
  • Purchases must never be "split" in order to circumvent the card’s transaction limit or requirements to seek competition.
  • Only pay sales tax when required. Claim the Virginia sales tax exemption for goods, services, and food/prepared meals for University events or business meals in the state of Virginia. For other states, see the State Tax Exemption Certificates website to determine exemption status. Provide cellular/wireless phone service providers with a CT-10 form to remove the communications and E-911 sales tax.
    • Primary Exceptions: Lodging, airfare, and rail are generally taxable
  • All contracts must be signed by PSDS. You cannot sign on behalf of the University.
  • A Cardholder must not fax or e-mail the complete T&E Card number (more than the last 4 digits), or include it in an email or email attachment, including sending pieces of the card number in separate emails.
  • Follow Export Controls regulations 
  • Follow Travel, Meals, and Entertainment Policy
  • You are responsible for reconciling all card transactions in Workday Expenses within 30 days of the transaction date. (All card transactions must be expensed, including those expecting refunds, and fraudulent charges). Transactions not expensed and fully approved by 60 days will result in your card being suspended. Please refer to the Create Expense Report Quick Reference Guide for instructions
  • If a card is misused, cardholder privileges may be suspended or revoked.
  • If a cardholder is on leave for a period of longer than three weeks, they must complete a T&E Card Change Request Form to have their card suspended until their return to work.
  • Due to state regulations, T&E cards that have not been used within twelve months are required to be cancelled. If a card is cancelled, a new T&E card application may be submitted at any time that card purchasing needs arise.


Cardholder's Authorizer Responsibilities

All Cards must be linked to an approved Authorizer. An Authorizer will automatically be the cardholder's supervisor as documented in Workday.

The Authorizer will be responsible for:

  • Approving T&E Card applications
  • Approving card change requests, such as limit increases or restriction changes     
  • Year-end review of cardholders and limits. Conduct a review of employees that have cards by using the Active Cardholder Search page. Search by email ID to review all delegated cardholders to ensure they still need their card and have appropriate spending limits. If changes are needed, request cardholders submit changes to the Card Administrator by submitting the Card Change Request form. Forms will automatically be routed to the Authorizer for approval.