If you have a matter involving a UVA Medical Center Patient, please contact UVA Medical Center Risk Management & Insurance at 434-924-5595.

Protecting the University against financial loss from property and liability risk exposures through the implementation of various risk management techniques.


  • Risk Financing - Maintain numerous insurance and self-insurance programs to protect the University and the University community against property and liability losses on Grounds and worldwide
  • Claims Management - Manage all property and liability claims that occur on University Grounds or arise from University operations worldwide—includes subrogation against third parties causing damage to University property
  • Loss

Time and Place of Accident:

Date, time, and specific address of accident.

About Your Auto:

Make, Year, Model, VIN of vehicle, License Plate #, Name of driver, driver’s home address, Driver’s phone number and hire date. Dept, Supervisor’s name, Sup. Phone number, Driver’s license in effect? Driver's title, Where were you going when accident happened? Where were you coming from? Business or Pleasure? Who gave permission - Supervisor’s name, & title, purpose of use, description of all damages to vehicle, detailed. Where is the vehicle now (repair shop, parking lot?) Estimated cost of

  • The department having responsibility for the vehicle must pay the first $1,000 of loss for each claim.
  • If possible, never drop off a rental car after hours. If you must and have the equipment, take 4 pictures (one of each side). The University frequently receives claims for thousands of dollars 2-3 months after rentals are returned.
  • When overseas, DO purchase the extra insurance (Collision Damage Waiver) on an auto rental.
  • The University has an agreement with Enterprise in which the daily rates for US rentals include the Collision Damage Waiver which covers any damage to the vehicle.
  • N

Campers Accidental Coverage provides coverage to participants of a University organized camp. Under this coverage, all registered campers are automatically covered while they participate in a university sponsored and supervised educational day and overnight camp activities. University departments hosting a camp session can contact the Office of Property & Liability Risk Management to coordinate coverage for the camp’s activities.

Benefits for the hosting University Department

  • Limits exposure for potential loss
  • Premium amount is based on the number of campers per number of camp days.

The University has liability insurance protection to cover damages caused by, or in some cases to, leased vehicles used for official University business. This liability protection is provided to University employees or authorized agents (e.g. students, volunteers) through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Division of Risk Management for third party damages other than to leased vehicles. Damage to leased vehicles will be covered through a combination of self-insurance and a contracted vendor's Collision Damage Waiver. The department having responsibility for the vehicle must pay the first $1,000

 In an effort to help expedite the property claim process, it is recommended that departments maintain a current inventory of University owned property i.e. furniture, electronics, office equipment, supplies, research materials etc. There is no need to record bulk items or items valued under $100, i.e. misc. office supplies, pens, copy paper, paper clips etc.

The inventory should include: a description of each item, which lists the manufacturer, model and serial #, purchase date, purchase cost, receipt, and asset tag number if applicable. Photos of specialized items would also be beneficial

A Major Accident/Incident is one in which total damages may exceed $5,000 or any incident wherein bodily injury occurs.

If a Major Accident/Incident occurs, please take the additional following steps:

  1. Immediately take the driver to Work Med or the UVa Emergency Room for a post-accident alcohol and drug screening.
  2. Immediately suspend the driver's vehicle operating privileges pending review.
  3. Remove the vehicle from service pending review and inspection.
  4. Contact Risk Management to review the accident, discuss the driver's eligibility to drive and determine the status of the vehicle's

The Commonwealth Accounting Policies and Procedures (CAPP) Manual documents the policies and procedures associated with teh Commonwealth's centralized accounting and financial systems. Topic No. 10305 Internal Control provides guidelines to assist state agencies and institutions in implementing internal control programs under the authority of Code of Virginia §§ 2.2-800 and 2.2-803 and identifies the Agency Risk Management and Internal Controls Standards (ARMICS) as the definitive source for internal control in the Commonwealth.

Does UVA have to follow the CAPP Manual?

The Restructured

The University Accident Review Committee evaluates each accident in which a University-owned vehicle is involved and some accidents in which a rented or motorized-utility vehicle is involved. After thoroughly reviewing all of the material concerning each accident, the review committee determines whether the accident was Preventable, Not-Preventable, or an Incident, based upon the definitions of the criteria provided by the Department of State Police. After an accident is evaluated and classified by the committee, it is forwarded to the appropriate Vice President or designee of the employee

Certificate of Insurance and Proof of Coverage Requests

Departments engaged in activities involving outside parties may receive requests for the University's certificate of insurance or proof of coverage from these outside parties. The following will provide departments helpful information in managing these requests and instructions on how to request the certificate.

Assistance in acquiring proof of medical malpractice coverage for individuals employed by the University (not Medical Center) may also be requested using the same form listed below, or by sending the request received to

What do I do if I have a vehicle accident in a State owned or rented vehicle while on University business?

While at the scene of the accident:

  • Take all necessary precautions to prevent further accidents.
  • Do not leave the scene. Ask a passing motorist or some other person to contact the University Police at 911 if on Grounds, the State Police at 1-800-552-0962 direct or through 911 if off Grounds in a University vehicle, or the local or State Police at 911 if off Grounds in a rental vehicle.
  • Do not make a statement of any kind to anyone other than your employer, an enforcement

This memo is to alert you to a potential problem with gifting items to the University from its various Foundations.

Gifts of property that have been received by a school from its related foundation must be documented, as outlined in the policy noted in the next paragraph.   If there is no documentation of ownership by the University, then if a loss of that gifted property occurs the claim cannot be honored.  It is the responsibility of the department suffering the loss to provide evidence that the property belongs to the University in order to receive insurance compensation for the loss.

In most cases, fine arts or other items loaned to and taken into the care, custody and control of the University departments can be provided with coverage through the University's Property Insurance PlanPersonal items belonging to others that are at the University, but where there is no written documentation of being on loan and in the care, custody, or control of the University, are not covered under the University's Property coverage.

For unusual loans, or loans of high value, it is recommended that you contact PLRM at or (434) 924-3055 early in the planning process

Contracts, agreements, and procurement provisions are reviewed by the Property & Liability Risk Management staff in an effort to protect the University from potential financial losses in its interactions with outside organizations. To do this, the following issues are reviewed:

  • Documents are reviewed to determine whether the appropriate insurance provisions are incorporated to insure that an outside organization maintains reasonable insurance protection with regard to general liability, automobile liability and workers compensation. Likewise, when applicable, other insurance coverage is

Academic field trips enhance the learning experience for students and provide other valuable educational benefits. They also involve the potential for increased risk to participants and the University. The advice contained herein is designed to assist academic departments in managing and minimizing this potential increase in risk.

Roles and responsibilities

The itinerary and all aspects of the field trip should be planned in advance by the department, including identifying and addressing potential safety risks. The itinerary should be communicated to the participants, and it should

Auto Incident/Accident Claim

How to Report an Auto Incident/Accident Claim

(State Owned, Rented or Leased Vehicles)

Automobile accidents should be reported directly and immediately to:

  • University of Virginia Property & Liability Risk Management, 434-924-3055
    and one of the following:
  • University Police, 434-924-7166
    (if the accident occurred on Grounds)
  • or
  • Virginia State Police
    (if the accident occurred off Grounds, but in Virginia)
  • or
  • Appropriate local or state police
    (if the accident occurred out of state)

An Automobile Loss Notice must be completed and sent to

Non-conventional vehicles are defined as any motorized vehicle, gas or electric powered that is used to transport people, equipment or other goods.  Some examples are but not limited to:  golf carts, ATVs, UTVs, riding mowers/tractors, 4-wheelers, off-road vehicles, Gators etc.

These vehicles should be operated in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications as well as in compliance with the laws governing their use on roadways:*

Code of Virginia, Title 46.2 Motor Vehicles, Chapter 8, Regulation of Traffic

§46.2-915.1 All-terrain vehicles and off-road motorcycles; penalty http:/

This Quick Reference Guide (QRG) is designed to walk Employees through the process of creating a Spend Authorization in Workday. To better comply with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), UVA is implementing the Spend Authorization process for companion travel.
Companion travel must have a bona fide business purpose to be an allowable expense and reimbursable by UVA.

To establish the companion travel as bona fide and request approval for your estimated travel companion expenses, you must submit a Spend Authorization. Companion travel expenses require approved spend authorizations before you